Wednesday, April 9, 2008

JB Barnett

When I hear about solo acts what usually runs through my mind is dull acoustic chords being played in repetition for three minute segments followed by one uninspired song after the other. Thankfully SoundSuck has found hope in one JB Barnett, a relative newcomer to the scene but definitely an artist who is here to stay. I got the chance to ask JB some questions and pick at the mind of one of our favorite upcoming musicians...



SoundSuck: Alright, so you just moved from the states to Australia, tell us about your travels and what motivated you to make that journey.

JB Barnett: It started with a conversation I had with a friend at a wedding that had just got back from traveling in Europe. She said it was the best thing she had ever done. About 2 weeks later I was driving with my girlfriend and it just kind of came out. I said I wanted to move to Australia. That was in September of 07, so I started saving up my money and started working on my EP. I quit my job in December, and finished my EP in January. We were supposed to fly out of LA on Jan 29th, but we had standby tickets (I’m a bargain shopper), and the flight was overbooked. It turns out you should never fly standby to Australia during their summer season. We ended up staying in LA for 7 days until we finally got on a flight. The benches in the terminal are way more comfortable than they look.

JB

SS: What do you like most about being an artist? What sucks about it?

JB: I like being able to express myself through my own creativity. With music, you can create something from nothing, and I think that is pretty cool. The only thing that sucks is that I’m not exactly blowing my nose with Benjamin’s… yet.

[audio:Getaway-JB.mp3]
The Getaway.mp3 (right click to save)

SS: Your sound has really evolved over the past few years. What artists and experiences do you feel most influence you?

JB: Anyone that has the guts to create something and share it with the world inspires and influences me. Its sounds cheesy but it’s true. If you were to steal my iPod right now and just press play, you would hear anything from Dave Barnes, Jay-Z, The Beach Boys, Ryan Adams (not to be confused with Bryan Adams), or anything produced by Timbaland. As for my sound evolving, I think that working a 9-5 had a lot to do with it. I started to write about wanting to get away and do something different with my life, which ultimately lead me to quit my job and move to Australia. Since I have always liked singer/songwriters, I started to take my life experiences and put them to some laid back music, and VIOLA! Little pieces of musical confetti for your listening pleasure.

SS: Any crazy Australia stories yet? Any kangaroo encounters or Steve Irwin look-a-likes?

JB: I have not seen any kangaroos yet. I live in Sydney right now, so I would have to go outside of the city more to see them in the wild. I have seen the biggest bats on the planet though. I feel like these things could pick me up and take me away if they wanted too, but I guess since I am already a vampire they just leave me alone.

SS: If you could have one artist who followed you around wherever you went (work, home, rester aunts, bathroom, etc.) and played the theme music to your life who would it be?

JB: Timbaland hands down. The dude is a freak.

SS: So what's next on the JB Barnett agenda? Have you thought about getting some guys together and calling it "Barnett and Band"? It's got a nice ring to it...

JB: I am trying to get gigs, play as much as I can, and sell some cd’s so I can eat. I plan on traveling in Australia and hopefully learn how to surf. As far as a band goes, there is a band on my EP, but I played all of the instruments. I am waiting until we start cloning humans to really start my “band”. Just think if there was four of me… WOW. That would be the sexiest band EVER!

[audio:City Lights-JB.mp3]
City Lights.mp3 (right click to save)



SS: Man that would either be the sexiest or scariest thing ever, I'm not sure which. Thanks for your time JB, keep the good stuff coming.

If you like what you hear there's more at myspace.com/jbbarnettmusic

7 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I will join you in Australia soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to buy a CD! Your voice is incredible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are GREAT!! Love your music and your weird answers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, CD EP Artwork, who did it, Oh right thats me

    JL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep it up bro! I'm proud of you. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome man! Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete