Thursday, April 10, 2008

Velveteen

I have a confession to make; I was looking for an "advanced copy" of Death Cab's forthcoming album using bittorrent. I know, I'm ashamed but I need my fix. Well to my ecstatic surprise I found what I thought was a leak of Narrow Stairs, but after further investigation (ie reading other people's comments) I found that some bush league blogger had put another band's music up and called it Death Cab's new release. That other band was Velveteen, funny how the internet works sometimes...





[audio:KM Tapes-Velveteen.mp3]
After The KM Tapes.mp3 (right click to save)

Velveteen is a group of four guys from Frankfurt, Germany. And the truth is they do sound more like Death Cab for Cutie than any band I've heard before, but I would also say they draw inspiration from their fellow Germans, The Notwist. The good thing is their music is more reminiscent of older albums like Something About Airplanes and a little of The Photo Album.

Why They Don't Suck: While you won't find it to be all that original, Velveteen makes for an enjoyable listen because they follow a well developed structure and know how to play together.

[audio:Berserk-Velveteen.mp3]
The Drummer Goes Berserk.mp3 (right click to save)



myspace.com/velveteenmusic

1 comment:

  1. I was fooled too. But I have to say, these guys are pretty damn good.

    ReplyDelete