Thursday, January 31, 2008

David Bazan Sings Hallelujah

Today I take a slight deviation from our usual featured artist style and instead focus on one song.

Last year while on tour David Bazan was closing his solo set with a cover of Leonard Cohen's famous "Hallelujah." The song is probably one of the most covered in modern history, but David Bazan's version is the absolute best...



Yes, the very best version of "Hallelujah" is not sung by John Cale, Willie Nelson, Rufus Wainwright, Bono, Bob Dylan, or even Jeff Buckley. Why is this the ultimate variation of "Hallelujah?" The first reason is because I'm biased. But the main reason Bazan's iteration of this song is so powerful is because when he sings it- when his weathered vocals project from the microphone out into the crowd, he makes you believe he is somehow telling you about himself. Here is a guy who has always been known for his depressed lyrics and critical attitude toward his faith. Bazan can't get away from the Christian image that has surrounded him even from his earliest recordings, so it's simply poetic to hear the seasoned artist singing "You say I took the name in vain / well I don't even know the name / and if I did well really what's it to you?" It's as if "Hallelujah" is David Bazan's very own musical autobiography, and he sings it with more passion and weight than any other version of the classic song I've heard.

Why They Don't Suck: This has become my favorite live song by any artist because it tells of a delicate place between blind faith and hopeless disillusion with elegant simplicity.

[audio:Hallelujah-David Bazan.mp3]
Hallelujah.mp3 (right click to save)

8 comments:

  1. I love this song. every time I hear it I can't help but ponder the lyrics and coming from David Bazan is simply amazing. Although his voice is very unconventional every time I try to criticize it I end up falling in love with it more and more. Good find

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! You nailed it ryan, good piece for an even better song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this guy obviously sucks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this song but I think Jeff Buckley does it the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a strange version. Without your comments I might have just figured he sounded drunk. But after listening intently it completely makes sense. Especially the ending. It feels like he truly is crying out to God from the depth of his sin and knowledge that he is unworthy of His love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] Also, listen to David Bazan sing “Hallelujah.” [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] If you like David Bazan, don’t miss his cover of “Hallelujah.” [...]

    ReplyDelete