Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Acorn

Album: Glory Hope Mountain

When I first heard The Acorn's latest album I felt slightly assaulted. I'm usually one who enjoys a fairly predictable song structure, but Glory Hope Mountain kicks off with "Flood Pt. 1" in a bit of discorded chaos...

As the song progresses it becomes more obvious that these guys know what they're doing as the obscurity levels out and a skilled mixture of instruments is revealed. A concept album written by Rolf Klausener, Glory Hope Mountain is the lyrical account of his mother's life and immigration from Honduras to Canada. I love concept albums such as Okkervil River's Black Sheep Boy, but when I heard this was a disc about somebody's mom I was kind of skeptical. As I continued listening to the album I realized there really aren't many topics which evoke more emotional response than when talking about parents and in The Acorns first full LP this sentiment is apparent.

[audio:Flood-The Acorn.mp3]
Flood Pt. 1.mp3 (right click to save)

Why They Don't Suck: Glory Hope Mountain is unique in that it finds a balance between all-out crazy and sporadic composition and introspective songwriting. These guys are talented at creating distinct sounds with their instruments but rather than using this ability to cover up weak lyrics like some bands do, they instead use their skill to highlight the intriguing story they tell.

[audio:Crooked Legs-The Acorn.mp3]
Crooked Legs.mp3 (right click to save)

Buy Glory Hope Mountain from Amazon


1 comment:

  1. I like there sound, the clapping intro in 'flood' provides a nice beat that is everything but conventional

    ReplyDelete