Thursday, February 14, 2008

Interview With Ethan Durelle

We're big supporters of the local music scene. Unfortunately there isn't much of a scene in Waco, TX which means when a band like Ethan Durelle showed up on our radar with their debut release in 2003 you can imagine how elated we were. Their introspective lyrics make for a meaningful listen and with their sophomore release, Talks To The Dark, they let everyone know they're here to stay. A few days ago Jordan spoke with lead singer Evan Lecker, here's what he had to say...




SoundSuck: In your own words what does Ethan Durelle sounds like?

Evan: We get a lot of different responses about what we sound like. Old barflies have
Zepellin and Who flashbacks while inexperienced scenester kids think we sound like whoever is trendy at that particular moment. I personally think we are a rock outfit with a lot of influences (some cool, some downright guilty pleasures).


SS: How did the band get started?

Evan: I met Jeff and Chris in college late 2000 and they had been in bands before, so I kind of jumped into their thing as the temp bassist from which I was immediately demoted to guitarist/singer. Theo I met randomly on the street in 2001 and he joined up after we lost our first bassist Jake a few months prior.

[audio:Accidental Killers-Ethan Durelle.mp3]
Accidental Killers

SS: What inspires you guys to write and perform?

Evan: I know that I get inspired by just trying to make it through a week. I believe very strongly in the idea that God speaks to people in themes, that is, He will allow a particular idea to reoccur in different forms whether it be in people, animals, accidents, tragedies, blessings, whatever, until the person He is speaking to gets it and acts on it. For me, the lyrics we did to the last album had themes that didn't fully culminate until I had experienced them several times over. Also good food and dirty jokes inspire me.



SS: Recently I had the opportunity to see you guys in concert. During the concert there was one thing in particular that stuck out to me; the passion with which you played your music. Is that something Ethan Durelle prides itself on?

Evan: We definitely like it when people have a good time at shows. Time and time again, all of us in the band have come away from shows of bands we paid top dollar to see and have been sorely disappointed with. We all subconsciously and consciously try to keep that from happening at our shows. That and I believe we are just naturally animated and verbose people anyways.

SS: Do the words 'Ice Cave' have any meaning to you?

Evan: I think the term you're looking for is moulin.

[audio:Two Sunrises-Ethan Durelle.mp3]
Two Sunrises

SS: Boxers or briefs?

Evan: Gator skins

SS: Why Ethan Durelle doesn't suck?

Evan: Who's Ethan Durelle?

SS: Thanks for the time Evan, keep up the awesome work.

Ethan Durelle's Site



Author: Jordan Bradley
Date: February 14, 2008

1 comment:

  1. Ethan Durelle is teh best band I've ever had the pleasure to watch live. I'd rather see an Ethan show than anything else.

    ReplyDelete