Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sam Amidon

Album: All Is Well

Yesterday Samamidon released this humble folk album and it's one I encourage you to take a look at. Lyrically I like to think he draws from Sufjan Stevens although his musical style is quite different...

You won't find many foot tapping upbeat tracks on this disc but Sam Amidon clearly wasn't trying to make some chart topping hit. What you're going to hear is thought provoking narrative complimented by an earthy guitar. Sam's vocals are low but thankfully never drowned out by the smooth guitar chords. Most of Sam Amidon's work is best served through headphones not only because of the low key style but also because it's hard to appreciate the finer detail without listening closely.

Why They Don't Suck: This is stuff you listen to when all you're really doing is thinking. You may say it's too nostalgic, but when I think of folk this album is the textbook example of how it should sound in my book.

[audio:Saro-Sam Amidon.mp3]
Saro.mp3 (right click to save)

Buy All Is Well from Amazon


6 comments:

  1. how can you afford all this music? I can't afford all your music selections, as good as they might be. So what is the one album a poor man like me should jump on? (and don't say "your mom")

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it. I'm cutting you off from my shoulder in mass comm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like this album. the sufjan tag is snickeringly shameless : )

    ReplyDelete