Monday, February 18, 2008

Black Sheep Boy Revisited

Album: Black Sheep Boy

With Okkervil River's latest release, The Stage Names, the band has received a fair amount of deserving publicity but I feel their greatest album was the one before this. Black Sheep Boy was a concept album revolving around the song of the same name by folk singer Tim Hardin. Front man Will Sheff wrote what is in my mind one of the greatest concept albums of all time. From start to finish Black Sheep Boy poetically describes the tension we we all live in between unchecked passion and depressing discontent. Like a disenchanted dream the album holds an ethereal weight that only grows as the album continues...



[audio:For Real-Okkervil River.mp3]
For Real.mp3 (right click to save)



I almost discounted this album before I ever got to know it. After hearing some of the slower paced tracks I was under the impression that Black Sheep Boy lacked direction and simply wasn't worth the listen. Fortunately, I continued listening as my original presumptions were proven dead wrong. The album's centerpiece, "For Real" is a bold composition that you will be hard pressed to find another song with as much raw emotion. The only track I feel should have been a b-side is "In A Radio Song" because it lacks real structure or form, but the remainder of songs are indie classics. Tracks like "A Stone" and "Song of Our So-called Friend" make this CD a piece that can be played over and over while rockier tracks like "Black" and "The Latest Toughs" pose as the perfect counterbalance.

[audio:A Stone-Okkervil River.mp3]
A Stone.mp3 (right click to save)

Why They Don't Suck: I don't care how old it is, if you can appreciate some of the most introspectively written lyrics set against a metaphorical backdrop I promise you can enjoy Black Sheep Boy. If you listen and don't immediately love it that's normal. Okkervil isn't exactly radio material, but give it a few tries and each time you'll get something new out of it. Enough of my gushing, listen and share your thoughts...

Black Sheep Boy on Amazon


Author: Ryan Shook
Date: February 18, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment